3/18/2021

Cold

 The cold

against my naked skin,

reminds me I’m still

alive. 

Freezing air

into my lungs,

filling me 

with ice crystals.

The darkness of the night

wraps me up 

like a blanket,

a moonless starless night

at the rooftop 

of an unremarkable city building. 

The city sleeps deeply

on this cold winter night,

only I am awake 

and outside.

Only I am awake,

drinking,

feeling this night 

with as many senses as I can. 

My skin is in prickles,

from my head to my toe,

yet, I resist to pick up

the layers of clothing, 

that I left fallen on the floor. 

I allow the cold to caress me,

like a lover would,

the wind kissing me,

tenderly,

when it’s a breeze,

hungrily, 

when it picks up,

furiously,

when it’s a gust. 

I still stand,

my feet naked against

the freezing floor.

My lips blue

from the fearless wind. 

My heart full

from all the life. 

1 comment: