3/19/2017

Dream On. Chapter 36: Echoes from the past.

Previously...

Echoes from the past

Marla almost found herself gasping before remembering that she was not allowed to talk. The last room seemed to have time traveled from a long time ago. She couldn't pinpoint when because there was a mix-up of different periods, but what she knew was that there was something odd in it. It was really warm in there, possibly because there was a fire burning merrily in the fireplace. There was a tall armchair in front of it, and, once her eyes grew accustomed to the play of lights, she could see that there was a small figure sitting on it.
-Your excellency.- said the Priest bowing.- I've brought you Marla.- he gestured at her to bow.
Marla felt kind of stupid doing it, she had never done what she was told to, but there was something in the air that smelled of power and made her afraid to disobey, so she bowed.
-Come closer.- said a weak female voice.
They approached to the fireplace and stood in sight of the woman. Her face was in shadows, but her hands were wrinkled and spotted, and she was trembling constantly.
-So you're Marla, right? Get closer, I want to see you.- Marla got so close that she could smell the heavy sweet smell of the woman, but she could still not see her.- So, young, so so young. And so pretty. It's been ages since I was that pretty... wasn't it so long ago? Sit down.- she said gesturing to a couple of chairs.
They sat down and waited for her to talk.
-Priest, have you told her my story?
-No, your excellency, I hadn't considered that she needed to know. - acknowledged the Priest.
-I can tell her myself then, there's nothing better than the source... I was born a long time ago, so long it doesn't even matter, I've seen so much history pass in front of me that I got tired of it and I decided to hide away. When I was young, though, I did care about the world and I wanted to use my powers to help everyone and I created the Dreamers. Oh, I can see you staring in disbelief young lady, I know that you've read the book and there's no mention of anyone creating them, but why would they acknowledge me when all of them think I am dead? They don't even know I'm the source of all their power and that I've been for the last thousand years. I am the source of their power as I am the source of yours. Back in time, they called me witch because they were afraid of me, now they would call me a liar because science can't prove me, but I am and I will always be me. I'm the Creator. And I'm basically you, Marla.
She shifted in her seat and the light made her face visible. She still had fiery red hair and she had her same blue eyes. It was like looking in the mirror that made you look a thousand years old. Marla was terrified, what did all mean?
-Don't be afraid, young lady, I created you too. I remember how your mother would go to the church and pray for the miracle of having a baby, and how the Priest set everything up so I could keep living through someone else. I'm dying kid, some say that I can't die, but I can feel it in my bones, my life is coming to an end and someone needs to take my place and keep the Dreamers in check. They have been unruly for too long, and we need to remind them who is in power. Although I heard that you got in trouble with one of them didn't you? We should have had this talk long ago, back when your mother first brought you to us.
Marla kept shaking her head in disbelief, had all her life been a lie? Was it the reason why they gave her access to everything she ever wanted?
-She's too weak Priest, I'll need to keep her in here for some training. With no contact from the outside world, is it clear?
-Yes, your excellency.
Marla opened her mouth to talk, but no words would come out of it as she saw how the Priest left her alone with herself.



No comments:

Post a Comment