3/26/2017

Dream On. Chapter 43: The date.

Previously...

The date

Robert was really nervous, Albert had been trying to calm him down telling him that everything would be all right and that he didn't need to overthink it, just enjoy whatever happened. However, he was still anxious, he had always been awkward around girls and he didn't want to screw up everything. He finally found his courage and asked Dalia if she would like to meet him for dinner the following Friday. Dalia was surprised about the petition, but she agreed fast enough. When the day arrived, Robert spent half of the afternoon rambling about how he was going to mess up, and the other half trying to decide what to wear. Albert looked at him as if he were crazy, while his friend kept taking clothes and more clothes from the closet.
-Will you calm down? You're making me nervous!- he told him finally.- Look, this isn't about how you look, you don't want to look like something you're not if she likes you she has to like you for what you are not for what you pretend to be. And anyway, it's not like you're taking her to the most expensive restaurant in town, it is supposed to be a night out as friends for her to relax. If something else happens, then it happens, but if you expect too much you might end up being disappointed. Now, pick something you like and you feel comfortable with, but please don't pick any of those t-shirts with the weird chemical structures.
-Why not? They're cool! And it's not weird chemical structures, they are the chemical structures for neurotransmitters!- Robert protested.
-Whatever, don't wear them. Don't you have a plain t-shirt or a shirt?- he started looking through the pile of clothing, trying to find something decent enough.- I can't believe I'm doing this.- he muttered.
Robert was ready only half an hour before the time he had agreed to pick up Dalia from her dorm building. Taking into account that it took exactly thirty minutes to get from their dorm to hers it was quite tight. Yet, it was long enough to have him brood over his doubts once again.
-I shouldn't do this!- he said.
-Ok, enough, get out! I don't want to see you until tomorrow morning!- Albert literally kicked him out of the room.
When he arrived at the girl's dorm building, Darla was already waiting for him on the front porch. She looked radiant wearing a pair of fitted jeans and a floral blouse, she had braided her hair on one side and was playing with it idly. She smiled when she saw him, then she descended the stairs and kissed him on the cheek. She looked so sweet and innocent.
-Shall we get going?- she asked.
They headed to the bus station talking about hundreds of different things but none in particular. When they arrived at the restaurant and sat on the table he was making her laugh telling her about some of the things he used to do as a kid.
-I still can't believe you set your grandma's kitchen on fire!- she said choking with laughter and wiping the tears from her eyes.
-Well, it did look easier on TV, and anyways it was an experiment.
-Did she scold you badly?
-Not at first, I guess that she was glad that I made it in one piece, afterwards she tried to, but she found it all so funny that she couldn't help laughing while telling me off, so all the effect was lost. She only made me promise her that I wouldn't try it again. And I didn't, in her kitchen at least.
-So you were a little arsonist, weren't you?- she teased him.
He shrugged his shoulders.
-I thought that was what science was all about. What about you, you never did anything that made your parents crazy?
-I used to chase the chickens off, but not for science, just for fun.- she admitted.
They spent the rest of the evening getting to know each other better and trying to forget about all the pressure of the exams. After dinner, they walked around the city for a while.
-I've never shown you my favorite place, have I?- Dalia asked him.
-No, I think you haven't.
She walked him through the twisted streets to a small square with a well in the middle of it. She sat on the edge of the well.
-This used to be the well where people from the city drew the water from, but now it's a wishing well. I like to come here because it makes me see that ordinary things can become extraordinary, and because I like to wish at things to happen.- she signed him to sit next to her.
-And what do you wish?- he asked her sitting really close, he felt bold, he didn't know if it was because of the wine or because of some new found confidence.
-Usually for happiness, for success in life, for love. What would you wish for?
He looked into her eyes and knew it was the right moment, the moment he had been waiting for so long.
-For you.- he said kissing her.
He felt her tears wetting his cheeks and stopped.
-What happens?- Robert asked her.
-I don't deserve you, you don't know me. I'm not the way you think I am. I want to go back, now. Please.












-->

No comments:

Post a Comment