3/20/2017

Dream On. Chapter 39: Face to face.

Previously...

Face to face

When Albert arrived at the lecture hall the following day he knew that something was happening. Why was everybody so silent? Usually, people talked in small groups until the professor arrived, but that day there was tension in the air. He sat in his usual place and tried to look for the font of the disturbance. A couple of rows in front of him there was a girl wearing a large red hat and no one seemed to want to sit next to her for some reason. It was strange that she was wearing a hat inside, but there were weirder things in the world. The girl stood up and got closer to where he was sitting. She took her hat off and pierced him with her gaze. He felt shocked and then he realized he couldn't move, he felt as if he had been tied up in chains.
-You can't do anything against me now.- Marla said leaning over him.
The professor arrived at that exact moment and Albert was able to move at his own will again. He considered leaving the class, and he would if it weren't because leaving while the professor was speaking would only draw more attention to himself. He tried to focus on the class, but some part of his mind kept wondering how could Marla do that, and what happened to her that she looked so different. Additionally, every now and then Marla decided to remind him that she had the power leaving him paralyzed for a few seconds. The fact that she didn't even need to look to bind him made him realize that she was much more powerful now. The lesson lasted for two painful and intimidating hours, and when the professor left Albert found himself unable to move his legs. He knew what came next, and wondered if there was some way to avoid it. No one was paying any attention to him so he ended up finding himself in an empty classroom alone with Marla. She walked up to him and sat on the table in front of him. She was wearing a really tight red dress, that looked as if it would rip at any sudden movement. She crossed her legs and lit up a cigarette. The smoke detector didn't come off, though, probably she was controlling that too.
-So, hello, little rabbit, did you miss me? Oh, of course, you did, you didn't have to hide all this time. Listen to me little rabbit, now I have the power. Agreed? If you want I can spell it out for you so your insignificant brain can understand it.
She stopped talking and looked at the smoke of her cigarette. Albert was completely bound, he couldn't move and he couldn't talk, the only thing he could do was move his eyes to one side or another, but he knew that he had to keep looking at Marla.
-Well, little rabbit, I've been really busy this last month, you know? I've been learning a few tricks. I think you've already seen them, but that's only a small part of it all... I could make you jump from the window if I wanted to, or set you on fire, or many other different things that are stuff of nightmares. I heard you're fond of dreams, aren't you? That's so cute.- she smiled an awkward smile.- You have to go to sleep and all. I can't do that without having to close my eyes.- her voice turned into ice and the temperature in the room dropped, he could see how his breath condensed in front of him.
She took a deep breath and the room grew warm again.
-See as easy as breathing.- she said waving casually her hand and making the lights go off.- Maybe a bit easier.- she added making the light go on again. - You've seen what I can do, you've felt what I can do. And now I'll tell you a little secret. All that you can do, you can do it because of me, little rabbit. Oh, don't worry I won't have you here listening to all this stuff for hours, I just want to make a pact with you. So here it is, you're going to work with me, and you're going to submit yourself to me. In exchange, I won't hurt anyone you love. Does it seem fair to you? Oh, don't worry you don't need to reply just now. You have a whole week to think it through. I'll even let you go visit your sweet grandmother to ask her advice. Don't look at me little rabbit, I know everything about you, everything.- she broke the last words in syllables, and Albert knew deep inside him that she was telling the truth.
She walked out of the room and as she arrived at the door she turned around putting on her hat.
-Don't worry little rabbit, you'll be able to hop again in no time. But it's so fun having you looking so alone, helpless and scared. - then she turned off the lights and closed the door.
Albert stayed immobile inside the room for quite a long time, or so it seemed to him. When he was able to move again all his muscles started hurting. What would he do now that he was powerless?



No comments:

Post a Comment