10/27/2013

A tour in the center, Robert Capa and meeting new people

Yesterday I met with a girl from the lab to go to the center. Because we were meeting on a metro station I had to go there alone on a bus, actually in two minibuses. It was quite the experience, as I explained before on a post. It was also my first time on the metro, first I was impressed because, unlike Barcelona they already have the magnetic card system, also because each trip costs only 3 pesos (0.17 €). Inside the metro it's a bit of a chaos, every 2 minutes there's someone passing by trying to sell you something, though I don't really think anyone actually buys them anything (however someone must because otherwise they would stop selling stuff).

We went to el Zocalo in the center of the city and we first visited the cathedral, which has lots of gold everywhere (apparently from the gold the Spanish found when they arrived). In the square there is a enormous Mexican flag (that I wondered how could they ever wash it).




After that we went to a photography exposition about the Spanish Civil War, the pictures were from Robert Capa among others, and as usual I got very emotional seeing all those pictures and knowing that part of my family and part of the families of people I know died there or suffered it. After that we went to Madero which is a pedestrian street to eat something.

We also wanted to visit the Museum of the Fine Arts Academy, but we got there a bit too late and we wouldn't have had enough time to visit. So we decided to walk a bit around the Alameda Park and visit the "hemiciclo a Juarez" that was full of teenagers dancing.





After that we walked back to the Zocalo and on our way we meet some people who were dancing traditional dances, it was nice, but noisy. Speaking of noisy, I find it really annoying that you're walking on the street and people paid by the shops almost stops you around shouting about what they are selling, it's really really annoying.

We were going back home when this girl got a message to go to a friends place and I decided to go along so I could meet more people. They were delightful! I meet a guy who is as crazy about F1 as me and a girl who worked for a while in the same building I work in back in Barcelona. I had a really nice time.



No comments:

Post a Comment