6/29/2015

Anxiety

I have anxiety. Anxiety AND stress. Don't ask me if I have been diagnosed because I haven't. I haven't gone to the doctor and told them how I feel, how hard it is to fall asleep some nights, how hard it is to stay asleep others, how sometimes I feel overwhelmed, how sometimes I end up paralyzed with fear, fear of not being able to make it. I haven't told a doctor how it is getting worse every time, how I had three anxiety attacks in two weeks. And I haven't because I'm too scared to look for help, because social interaction is one of my triggers, because I'm terrified at them telling me that I'm exaggerating, that it's not that bad, because I'm terrified at them finding I'm actually much worse than I thought I was. 

Yet, it's time to face it. It's time to face this problem that won't go away by simply staring to the other side. And I thought a good way to start would be by identifying my triggers. The things that make my brain collapse in panic. So here's the list:

1) Not being in control.
    a) Feeling trapped in a place and knowing I can't leave whenever I want (reason #1 I avoid elevators)
    b) Being late to something (either a place or a deadline), specially if it is not my fault. 
2) Social situations that have a profound emotional meaning: for example weddings. 
3) Any social situation in which someone I don't know can feel entitled to make unsolicited approaches. 
4) People touching me. 
5) People talking too much.  
6) People in general. 
7) The feeling that I should be planning my future in the long run and I can't do it. 
8) Some specific people. 
9) This post and most of the stories I write. 

All these triggers seem pretty much avoidable, expect how do you tell someone to step away for the sake of your mental health? And anyway, can anyone ever eliminate all the triggers from their life? Sometimes the fear of having an anxiety attack is enough to trigger one. Will I ever be able to escape the grip of anxiety? 

No comments:

Post a Comment