6/13/2015

Would you?

They met by accident, she literally ran into while during her run by the beach and he recklessly crossed her path. It all ended in a pile: her, him, his camera. 

-Oh, sorry.-she said helping him back on his feet.-Is it broken? 

-Uh, what? Oh, the camera.-he gave it a quick look.-No, it's okay. And, if anything, it's my fault not yours. 

She smiled and he knew she was the love of his live. How did he know? He couldn't tell, he just knew. 

-Nanna.-he looked at her confused.-My name. 

-Oh, sure. Doran.-he introduced himself

They shook hands, which seemed a bit awkward taking into account how they had met. 

-Can I invite you to coffee or something?- Doran asked. 

-Sure, let me shower first, though. 

Doran's heart broke a bit, thinking he would never see her again despite having agreed to meet half an hour later. He sat on a table, sulking, glaring at the door and at his watch, convinced Nanna wouldn't go. When she entered the cafe, he didn't recognize her, not until she grabbed the chair in front of him and sat. She was wearing a summer dress and had her hair down in loose waves. His stomach twitched, his first impression had been good. They had coffee while letting the other know details of their life, and before agreeing to meet another time, Nanna made a strange question:

-Would you leave everything behind, if I asked you to?

-Yes.-Doran replied, wondering why was she asking that. 

She smiled and gave him her number asking him to call her. They dated for a couple of hears before moving in together. Doran still couldn't believe his luck, she really was the woman of his life, in more ways that he could have imagined. They had lived together for almost six months when, one evening, Nanna arrived home excited and bright-eyed. She had been feeling a bit apathetic and it was a good change. 

-We are moving to Iceland!- she announced. 

Doran was paralyzed. Did he just hear what he thought he had heard? 

-What? 

-I got accepted for a job in Iceland. I have been living in this city for far too long, it's starting to take me down. We still have a month to make the preparations, though. 

-But,... I've lived here all my life! 
-Do you remember when we first met? I asked you whether you'd leave everything behind if I asked you to. You said yes. Now, I'm asking you exactly that, to move away, to start anew. Will you come with me? 

Doran considered for a bit, was he brave enough to leave all that he knew for the woman he loved? 

-No.- he finally said.  

No comments:

Post a Comment