6/09/2015

How was your day?

As usual, I arrive to the office before anyone. The sun is not even up and I'm already running around. I made a to-do list on the bus after checking my email, and I need to sit down and sort it by priorities. The computer protests when I turn it on, it didn't get enough sleep, either. I tap my fingers on the table while waiting for it to start. After I type my password, I check my schedule, a two-hour meeting at 11. Exactly what I needed. I open the word processor and start working on an unfinished project while music beats from my headphones. When the first of my coworkers arrive I've worked for an hour and a half and the project is almost finished. I simply nod at him in acknowledgement, he knows better than to disturb me when I'm focused. I work non-stop, ignoring everyone else, until it's time for the meeting. It turns out to be one of those stupid meetings in which nothing is decided and I spent my time rueing the work time I'm losing. I have lunch on my desk while replying to the emails I received during the meeting. My boss sends me more work, I add it to the to-do list before moving to the following item.  At one point in the afternoon I feel hungry and realize it's already 6pm. I decide to work for a couple more hours and then order delivery when I get home. At 8pm I begrudgingly part from my work, thinking that one minute spent away from it is going to be an extra minute I'll need to work another day. On my way home I still think of work and I almost miss my stop. 

I open the door of my apartment, wondering how many hours will I actually spend inside when I see him sitting on the sofa. He looks exactly like he did when he left seven months ago, except he sports a tan now. He stands up and smiles. I jump into his open eyes and start sobbing. 

-How was your day?- he hasn't forgotten I love when he asks that. 

-It's better now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment