6/28/2015

Moon

I'm sitting on the roof of my house, the tiles are still warm. I hear the people talking and the music playing, things that happen at parties, after all. I should be down there, with everyone, but I can't. I need to be alone. I know no one will come looking for me, this is my secret place, only Flynn knows I'm here. I hug my knees with my arms and wish I could turn down the noise around me and hear the sounds of nature, the far whisper of the sea, the summer crickets. Yet, the music is too loud and there's too many people talking. I look towards the bay, the lights twinkling on the water, the moon is rising and I greet her like an old friend. 

-I wish I were you, sometimes.-I tell her, she will understand.-You can be alone everytime that you want. Even if we are lousy neighbors. You can enjoy silence and loneliness, and don't have to deal with crippling anxiety in social situations. You come and go at your own rhythm and no one asks you why. 

The moon smiles at me and her soft light caresses me. We continue our conversation silently, as she moves across the sky. I lie on my back and feel how the tiles have grown colder. The starts have started to appear, silent companions of the moon. They are far away, yet they shine on the night sky together. I lose track of time until I hear Flynn climbing to the roof, it's then when I realize that the party must be already over. I sit up and help him on the roof, he sits down behind me and hugs me from behind. 

-How are you? 

-I'm okay now. Has everyone left, already? 

-Yes, I told them you weren't feeling okay, don't worry.- he nuzzled his face against my hair. 

-I love you.-I told him holding him tight. 

-Me too. 

We stayed on the roof for some time, in silence. We never needed to talk much, and I was grateful for that. I was grateful for having found someone who understood me like he did, who let me have my moments alone on the roof, and who was willing to come up the roof with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment