2/04/2014

A Story A Day. Story 31 of 365: Dream.

Masha waved at me from the distance. I had been looking for her amidst the crowd unsuccessfully, but she had recognized me by my green long coat. The same she always complained about, she would tell me it was old-fashioned and that it didn't go with anything. But, of course, she was always dressed in the last designs from the most exclusive boutiques. Anyway, I loved that coat, it was the last present my mother gave me, and lots of important things happened while wearing it. Damn! I had met Dan while wearing that coat, and he had confessed he had only noticed me because of it, so I guess I owned it that much, at least.

I forced myself through the crowd. Masha was standing on the stone stairs of the theatre, she was fresh out of rehearsal. I kissed her fine ballerina cheeks and smelt her perfume: a soft touch of wild rose, as usual.

-So, are we going for coffee, dear?

She chose the place, as usual, an elegant café where I probably couldn't afford half of the things, but she loved inviting me, so who was I to complain? Masha took her white coat off and lay it delicately on a chair. Under it she was wearing a winter bourbon dress that allowed everyone to admire her thin frame, without it being too tight or immodest. She sat down as if she were light as a feather.

-Leila, dear, you should really consider wearing make up.

We were an odd couple, me with my unkempt hair, my bare skin, my worn coat and my jeans. She the same image of elegance. Maybe that was the reason we got along so well.

-Oh, no! I would end up looking like a clown. And anyway, it has never become me.

-Bullshit.- she flinched as soon as she caught herself blurting such a word. Deep down she still was the girl who grew up with me playing on the street. I smiled.

-We are not here to talk make up, besides.

-Yes. What was that you needed to tell me?

I took my time to prepare my discourse while she ordered coffee for both of us, and cake for me. She knew how much I loved cake, I still think of her when I eat it. As soon as the order arrived I started talking.

-I dreamt about you today, Masha.- her smile froze.- We both know what it means,...

-It could mean nothing. Not everyone you dream of dies.- There was a shade of desperation in her voice.

-They do if its this kind of dream. These dreams are different, as if it came from outside my brain rather than from the inside.- it hurt so much having to tell her that.- You already know it, whoever I dream of, it dies. Like my mother. I'm sorry.

She had been there for me, during my mother's death, she knew how hard it was, how much had I fought against it. And, how in the end, it happened all the same. She knew, firsthand, what I was talking about.

-No, I can't die.- her make up was getting ruined from all the tears.- Tell me, at least, how is it going to be.

-I wish I knew, but it could be anything,...- It felt like swallowing a stone. I reached her across the table, but she got away.

-No, I won't die, you'll see it.- she stood up and left.

It was the last time I ever saw her alive. When I got the call I already knew what it meant, but it didn't make it hurt less.

-Leila.

-She is dead.

-Yes.

I wondered how many more people I knew would die because of my dreams, but I could have had never really guessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment