2/25/2014

A Story A Day. Story 52 of 365: Footprints (V).

Genevieve Foster lived in an old fisherman's house. It needed lots of repairs that the elderly woman probably couldn't afford. The paint on the wall had peeled off on most of it, as well as the one on the doors and window panes. However, Genevieve had managed to palliate the overall effect of decay, the flowers growing from pots everywhere gave it a fresh air. Tray knocked the door, and they both waited in silence for the door to open. After some minutes waiting they knocked again, but there wasn't any response either. They circled the house trying to see if the woman was home, but there was no sign of activity inside it.

-Now what?- Dana asked, she was clearly tired of it all.

-We can't leave without having asked her some questions, you know that. We'll have to wait until she comes back.

They sat on a bench next to the door, where a fat grey cat promptly joined them. Dana scratched it between its ears, and the cat purred and curled on her lap. Tray was staring at the sea, his hands in the pockets of his jacket, he was clearly daydreaming. Dana decided not to interrupt him and kept playing with the cat.

-You left me for last, I see.- an old woman carrying a bucket and a fishing stick approached them.- I'm Genevieve, and I see you have already met Admiral McWhiskers.- she signaled the cat on Dana's lap with her head.

Dana took the cat from her lap and left it on the bench, while Tray was already standing up to greet the woman.

-I'm special agent Williams and this is special agent Spencer.

-I know who you're already. I've seen you around while I was fishing.- Genevieve saw their surprised faces and added.- Oh, no, I don't sail. I go to the rocks and spend most of the morning in there, trying to catch something. I even have a chair in there permanently, sometimes the ocean takes it, but chairs are not that expensive. Some people in the town think I shouldn't be around fishing, but it keeps my mind clear, and what do I have to do, anyway?

Dana grinned at her warmly, she liked the woman, she decided. Tray was still staring, considering what he had to do with her. She looked at them both and winked.

-Let's go inside, I better clean the fish before it starts reeking.- she said showing them the bucket.

Genevieve's house was also modest in the inside. The door opened straight into a space that contained both the kitchen and the living room. She left the bucket in the sink and told them to sit on a small sofa next to the window.

-You're going to be tight, but I don't think this is the closer you have been either.

Both of them reddened to the roots of their hair, apparently it was quite evident that they were in a relationship. Genevieve looked at them amused and left for the kitchen without saying anything. Dana took Tray's hand and slipped her finger between his, he caressed her hair and kissed her cheek.

-She has caught us red-handed, didn't she?- Tray whispered.

Dana simply kissed him. When Genevieve came back they were already in full professional mode. She sat down on a chair in front of them, still wiping her hands.

-Genevieve, what can you explain us about the footprints?- Dana asked.


-I know them very well. Very, very well. I was still a young woman the last time the sea people walked the earth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment