2/12/2014

A Story A Day. Story 39 of 365: Causalities.

"That day started like any other day. Her alarm clock went off just before 7am waking me up, as usual I had to shake her until she opened her eyes. She gave me a dangerous smile, I knew what it meant. Trouble. I'd like to say that we made love, but it wasn't like that, we fucked. Quenching our thirst of the other's body. If I had known it would be the last time I touched her, I would had loved her slowly, kissing each hidden spot of her body.

I stayed in bed while she started her day, I listened to her as she showered and had breakfast. Before leaving she came back to the room and kissed me goodbye. She looked so sexy in uniform. She was so beautiful, she had pulled her hair up in a tight ponytail and that made her eyes stand out even more. She turned around as she was crossing the door and waved me goodbye. With that image in my mind I went back to sleep, I had night shift that day. 

Night shift days used to be slow days, I needed to get as much sleep as I could. She came back mid-afternoon, and told me about her day. Then she joined me for early dinner, we ate talking about stupid things that didn't matter. When we were done my patrol partner called me. He was sick and wouldn't be able to make it. I complained about it, it was impossible I could find anyone to go with me in such a short notice. Unless, I asked her. For sure, she had been doing office work for a long time by then, she had ended up tired of field work, but she was still one of the best. It was hard to convince her, she argued that her skills would be rusty, but after calling our boss we ended up convincing her to come along. In the end she was eager to get some action. 

We entered in the undercover car and drove to the bar where the mafia was operating. It wasn't the kind of bar we used to go, but I thought we blended in quite well. Until she grabbed me by the arm and hurried me to leave. We tried to walk calmly out of the bar, but I could see what I hadn't seen before: suspicious stares from dangerous men. We got in the car and almost inmediately a van started chasing us. We called the police station, but they weren't fast enough. I remember jumping stop signs and red lights, and the mountain road. And waking up inside the car, trees all around. And the blood, so much blood, my blood, her blood. Mainly hers. 

And the glassy look in her eyes, drifting to unconciousness. A look that stayed with her, in the hospital, where they shaved her head to treat her, and where she was drugged to avoid pain. She stayed in that state for a couple of days, until she woke up to utter her last words "I love you". I remember myself screaming from pain, from physical pain and from the pain of losing her. Of having killed her." 

When Sean finished reading he and the doctor had tears in their eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment