2/07/2014

A Story A Day. Story 34 of 365: Power.

The first time I met William, I knew he was a powerful man. Not only because I had been told, not only because I was visiting him at his mansion. It was because of the way he looked. Everything, from his grey hair to his suit radiated power. And despite of it, he was dying.

You could not see it at first glance, but I was used to see dying people, working at a hospital, as I would. There were some marks in the corners of his eyes, some shaking of his hands, that showed that his body was tired of living even if his mind was not.

-What is it?- I asked as soon as the introductions were over.

-What is it, what?- he replied, startled.

-What is killing you.

He turned around and walked to the open balcony behind his desk. He had a magnificent view of the blooming garden. He stroked the curtains with his hand.

-You're a bold one, young lady. But you're right. I'm dying. It's my heart, it is weak. But you could help me.

-I'm not a cardiologist...

-I know that.- he interrupted me mid-sentence.- But you're part of the committee responsible for transplants. You can get me a heart.

I looked at him in horror, he was asking me to use my influence for him to live?

-Of course, you'll receive compensation.

I took a deep breath.

-I won't be doing it. You'll get your heart when it's your turn, not before.

He let himself fall on a chair.

-I had expected as much. Well, tell me if you change your mind.

I might have looked at him in a strange way because he swiftly added.

-No, I won't be punishing you, don't worry.

He waved his hand dismissively and I took it as a sign to retire.

The second and last time I saw him he was dying on a hospital bed and he didn't look powerful anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment