2/26/2014

A Story A Day. Story 53 of 365: Footprints (VI).

Dana and Tray looked at Genevieve in incredulity, weighing her sanity. After all, she was an 85-year-old woman who went fishing every day. Genevieve was clearly enjoying it, waiting for their reaction with a confident smirk on her face.

-Excuse me.-said Tray, polite as ever.- Did you just say sea people?

-Yes, sea people.They don't come out of the ocean very often. And they've never hurt anyone. Of course, most people can't contact them, imagine the reaction of the people of the town if they knew what was really happening. The town would be flooded with media. For some reason they trust me, they feel safe.

-So, you met them the last time they came?- Dana asked.

-I did more than that. Let me explain you my story. When I was twenty-four I was a willful young woman, with a head full of dreams and a fierce sense of independence. I was orphaned and my grandmother raised me, she had an unhappy marriage, and she always told me not to get married until I were completely sure about it. As a result, when my friends were already nursing children, I was still free of any compromise. I used to live at night, I would roam the beach, looking for small treasures the ocean left there. I would also go out fishing on the fishing boats, learning invaluable skills, and also more than one scar. But it was my love for the sea at night what allowed me to met the sea people. They came in spring that year, I used to swim naked at night and, one day, suddenly I was no longer alone in the water. Even now, I'm surprised at how calm I was about it, I had heard the legends and I had the feeling that they didn't want to hurt me, so we swam together for a while. There were three of them, two men and a woman. Their skin was covered in dark blue scales and their eyes were dark yellow, with no white parts. One of them allowed me to touch him, it was completely smooth, but also a bit sticky, like the skin of sharks. From that day on they kept appearing, they wouldn't say anything, we only swam together, staring at each other. With the days I started to differentiate them, there was an older couple, the woman and one of the men, and then there was the one who had allowed me to touch his skin. I started calling him Nemo, like the captain in the book, later, he told me his name, but it was nothing I could pronounce. Nemo was obsessed with my hair, when I was young I had red flowing locks that I used to wear untied, but he was too ashamed to touch it in front of the others. One day he started coming alone. The first thing he did was timidly reach his hand for my hair. I laughed at it, and he laughed back, his teeth were pointy like a shark, they had to be to eat raw fish. There was a full moon that day and I could see his gills at the side of his neck. He started speaking a strange English, asking me things about live above water, and I explained him a lot of things, however, as usual, as soon as the first lights were visible on the horizon Nemo would leave. This lasted for weeks, and we fell in love. He was young, even younger than me, but I didn't mind, I knew it was real love, even if I knew it was impossible. I said we fell in love, but, apparently they fall in love instantly, they know who their partner is going to be the moment they lay eyes on her. It wasn't unusual for a sea man to fall in love with a human, but those used to go to a confined place where they would end their days alone. It was a sad future, and we didn't want to think about it. We kissed all the nights, and one day we decided to go one step further. I was still a virgin, people in here were still very traditional and sex before marriage was frowned upon. We swam all the way back to the beach, his first time on earth and lay down on the sand. Nemo explored every part of my body, I was a bit ashamed at first, but he was so curious, smelling, licking with his rough tongue, that I soon found myself on his body doing the same. When he got inside me it hurt, I'm not going to lie, but it was also the best thing that has ever happened in my life. He wasn't warm, but there was a warmth in it. He didn't come the next day, or the day after, only on the third day he appeared with the older couple. They were very angry, speaking fast on their language. Nemo translated me all of it. Apparently, they had banned him to go alone, but he had ignored orders and came regardless. But that was not the worst, Nemo told me that I was pregnant. I remember laughing at it, what would you do if someone told you something like that? But he was very serious, he told me that he would be there for the delivery, which was supposed to be after 3 months, but that he wouldn't be able to see me anymore. And that I wouldn't be able to keep my son, how would I explain it, anyway? I cried and cried in his arms, the salt water mixing with my tears. But I accepted their terms, I had loved at least once, I had found real love once, I could find it again. When Nemo translated my agreement to the older couple they just nodded and swam away. Nemo and I made love to each other for half of the night, the second and the last time that our bodies would touch. Before sunrise I promised him I would go to the beach each night, and he promised me that he would be there when the time came. Those months were miserable, I craved raw fish because of my pregnancy, but I couldn't have it, so I had to settle with all kinds of cooked fish. I also felt the need to spend more and more time inside the water, but I had things to do. At least, my pregnancy didn't show and I didn't have to suffer the suspicious stares of the town women. Exactly three months after I first made love with Nemo I felt the urgency to get inside the sea. At first, I shook it off as one of my strange cravings, but it was as if the ocean was pulling me. So I left everything I was doing and walked down the beach, I stripped naked and looked afraid at the sea. It was particularly wild that day, and there was still some daylight, so I knew Nemo wouldn't come for at least a full hour. I entered inside the water, feeling it pushing my belly, trying to get my son out. Nemo came as soon as the sun set and embraced me. We stayed together inside the water holding each other until I gave birth to our son. It wasn't traumatic, he was barely the size of my hand, but already fully formed and covered in the same scales his father had. Nemo took him lovingly and placed him inside a special bag over his stomach, sea people fathers took care of their children. I made him promise that he would name him something beautiful, and he told him he would name him Shore, in their language, because it was the place where earth and sea meet. He also promised me he would send me messages, so I could know they both were fine. And like that he left. He kept his promise and sea shells and other nice underwater treasures would appear in our beach every now and then. I meet a really nice man some years after that, and I married him, he accepted me as I was, with all my experiences, telling me that I had two husbands, one in the sea and the other on earth. Yet, he left me too. People die. And now, I'm the one who is dying, that's why Nemo and Shore are coming to visit me every night.

Dana was crying silent tears, clutching to Tray's arm. He was shacking his head in disbelief.


-Can we stay tonight?- she asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment