2/27/2014

A Story A Day. Story 54 of 365: Footprints (VII).

-You don't really believe her, do you?- Tray said as soon as they were out of the house.

-I don't know, Tray. A part of me tells me it is all bullshit, but there's another part of me telling me to listen to her, that she has answers.

-Answers to what?- replied him, somehow violently.

-I don't know Tray, but it's not going to hurt anyone if we go there tonight.

-Ok.- he conceded.- But we are having dinner first.

-Are you hungry, already?

-Drama makes me hungry.

-And then I'm the insensitive one.- Dana said heading to the inn.

They sat in the restaurant and ordered from the menu. Dana started playing around with the salad leaves, not even seeing her plate. Tray was gulping down his food until he realized that she was in another dimension.

-What bothers you?- he asked.

Dana looked at him, remembering that she was not alone.

-Can you imagine a love so strong? A love that no mater the distance, no mater the years of not seeing each other, still persists? The love that made him send her tokens just to tell her he was alive? Can you imagine the love it takes to let a son go? The pain of it all? Can you imagine what Genevieve has been through? All this years not seeing either her love or her child? Will we ever live it or have we lost the capacity to love like this? Will I ever live a love like that?

Tray was hurt, but he didn't let it show, he loved her more than he had loved anyone. He knew she was the one for him, but he also knew that he wasn't the one for her.

-You're tired, that's it, you should take some holidays after this. We could go somewhere warm and sunny. What do you say?

-Mmm, yes maybe you're right.- she said before going back to picking the food on her plate.

After a rather sad dinner, they went back to Genevieve's house. Dana lost in her thoughts, Tray too afraid to say anything that could stir the feelings inside her. Genevieve was waiting for them, she had lit a fire and made some tea. She took Dana by the arm and sat her next to the fire.

-Tray, dear, would you mind bringing some more firewood? They sell it in the house next to the police station, tell them it's for me.- she half-ordered, smiling.

Tray left without a reply, he knew she wanted to talk to Dana about something. As soon as he left she sat in front of Dana.

-What is it?

-Will I ever live a love like yours? I know it doesn't seem so, but I'm a romantic, but I'm also independent, so it's really hard to find a man who completes me. And you, you had this amazing love story, will I ever be able to have my own?

-Dear child, you never know.

Dana stared at the fire, wondering.

-What I am going to do with Tray?

-Don't you love him?

-I do, but not as much as I could love.

-Well, enjoy it and don't hurt him when you leave him. That's my only advice.

Tray came back shortly after with an armful of firewood. He set it aside and sat with the women. Genevieve shared stories of the town and they told her news from the big city. The sun set and Genevieve turned on the lights. Shortly after, they heard three knocks at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment