4/07/2017

Dream On. Chapter 50: Back to reality.

Previously...

Back to reality


The ringing of his phone woke him up, it was already dawn, so he must have slept for some hours. He picked up the phone afraid of the news that it would bring, and he felt that his face was wet with tears. He knew what he was about to hear, but he didn't want to, he really didn't want to. Maybe if he denied long enough it would pass as only a dream instead of being what it had been.
-Albert?- his mother was crying on the phone.- Albert, I have really bad news.- her voice broke down.
-Mom, don't worry I'm here. Tell me what happened?- he needed confirmation to know what were the consequences.
-Your grandmother died- Asha replied sobbing.- And Mayra, she's in the hospital.
-I'm coming, I will go to the station and take the first train back home. I am coming mum, I won't leave you alone on this.
He hung the phone and woke Robert up. His room mate complained about it, but he had to let him know what had happened.
-Robert.-he called him.-Listen, I have to go back home. Marla drugged me and I had a dream, and now my grandmother is dead and my sister is at the hospital.
-WHAT?- that had woken him up completely.- I'm so sorry, Albert.
-I know. Listen, I don't have much time, I'm going to take the first train I can take back home. You might be in danger and I'm not sure I'll be able to protect you. I need you to watch each other's backs, if you need to spend all day and night together with Myriam and Dalia, do it. Don't get close to Marla, and don't do anything that could make her think of hurting you. Please, stay safe.
-We will be okay, don't worry. Take care of yourself too.
He helped his friend pack some clothes he would need and then hugged him. Albert was surprised because he had never seen Robert have physical contact with anyone, but he knew that his friend had done it because he truly appreciated him.
-Do you want me to tell anything to Myriam?- he asked.
-Tell her what happened and what I told you, and that I will call her later. Also, tell her that I love her and that I won't let anything bad happen to her.- he said visibly affected.
-She knows, but I'll tell her.
Albert hurried to the station and arrived just in time to catch the morning train, that meant that he would arrive home late at night, it was not ideal but he didn't have any other option. He spent the train trip brooding in his grief and nursing his newfound hate for Marla. At noon he remembered that he had promised to call Myriam. She picked up the phone the moment it started ringing.
-Albert, how are you? Are you okay?- she asked anxiously.
-No, I'm not, I hate her, Myriam, I hate her.- he started crying uncontrollably.
-I'm coming with you. I have to be there with you.
Albert considered it for a moment, it was true that he needed her, but would she be safe with him? Would she be safe anywhere?
-Please, Myriam, don't, you've got an exam this week, I don't want you to miss it. And I'd rather you stayed with Robert and Dalia now, you will be safer if you stick together, I'll come back soon. I promise. Just stay safe.
-Are you sure?- her voice trembled.
-I am, I'll call you every day.
-I swear I'm going to kill that bitch! I do! You don't deserve this, you've done nothing, if she thinks she can get anything just because she wants to, I'm gonna prove her wrong!
-Myriam, calm down, don't do anything until I've come back. We are going to take the witch down, but we need to plan it.
She was sobbing on the other side of the line, from grief, from anger, and from frustration. He loved her more than ever
-I'll call you tomorrow, ok?
-Ok, and, Albert, I'm so sorry for what happened.
-I know you are. I love you.
-I love you too.
Albert hung the phone and stared through the window wondering how could he avenge his family, how could he destroy Marla. He felt the exhaustion taking control of him and his eyes closing, but he couldn't sleep, he was too afraid to, about what would happen next if he went to sleep, maybe he still had some of the drug in his body. He fought against sleepiness, he stood up and went in search for some coffee. The rest of the journey passed fast enough and before he realized it he was already in his hometown. John had come to pick him over and he hugged him as he saw him.
-I'm sorry Albert. How are you?- he told him.
-Fine, I'm fine. How is mom?
-She's in the hospital with your sister, she's completely heartbroken.
-What happened?- he inquired.- Mom wouldn't tell me.
-We don't really know, your grandmother died of severe burns, but there had been no fire, she was lying on her bed terribly burned. No one understands how could she have sustained those injuries. And, apparently, she died in her sleep. Your sister has a severe smoke intoxication, but she was at home and there was no smoke, we were there, she woke us up in the middle of the night coughing and crying for help. They still don't know if she's going to have any sequels or not, apparently the poisoning was a severe one.
-Fuck!- muttered Albert under his breath.
-Did you say anything?- asked John.
-It's nothing, can we go see Mayra?
-They don't allow visits at the hospital at this time, also I think you should rest a bit, it's been a long day, and tomorrow is your grandmother's funeral.

They continued driving in silence as Albert relived the horror he had endured the previous night. As they arrived home he thought he had almost seen the flames licking its walls all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment