4/23/2017

Dream On. Chapter 62: Octavia's story.

Previously...

Octavia's story

Luckily for them, Marla decided to behave as a normal person as long as the professor were around, at least during that first day. But it also meant that they had to act as if they liked her, and that was difficult for both of them. Albert wondered what could have Marla done to Octavia, but unless they were to be alone at some moment the only thing he could do was wonder.
They worked in silence for some hours, exchanging occasional comments on what they were reading. Just before noon Albert started to feel very hungry and felt relieved when the professor told them to go for lunch.
-Let's go.- he told Octavia, without even looking at Marla.
-Professor Smith, if you don't mind I will stay here during lunch time, I should leave early.- said Marla.
-As you will, but please, don't call me Professor Smith, call me Daniel.
-Ok, Daniel.- Marla answered seductively.
Albert had had enough of that and headed to the door followed by Octavia. He was fuming, what he thought would be an excellent opportunity to learn would end up being a daily battle against Marla. As they were halfway to the canteen he realized that he hadn't spoken to Octavia since they left Professor's Smith office.
-Sorry, Octavia. I'm going to meet with some friends for lunch, do you want to join us?- he offered.
-Sure, why not?
Albert's friends were already sitting in the canteen when they arrived. Albert and Octavia queued to get their food while remembering anecdotes that had happened in class. As there were fewer people in the campus, there were also fewer people in the canteen, so it didn't take them long to get their food.
-Guys, this is Octavia. Octavia, these are Myriam, Robert, and Dalia.- he introduced them as they sat down.- She's with me at Professor Smith's. Oh, and you know who else is there?- he made a dramatic pause.- Marla.
They all started talking at the same time.
-You can't be serious.- said Robert.
-That... bitch!- Myriam exploded.
-Calm down you all.- interrupted Albert.- As you can see they don't like her much, either. So why do you hate her?- he asked Octavia.
-First your story, then mine.- she replied as she started eating.
-Only if you promise that you will believe everything that I tell you, even if it seems a lie.
-I promise.- she said solemnly.
They told her the story between the four of them. From the start to the point they were now. That was another good thing about the campus being half empty, no one sat close enough to eavesdrop what they were talking about.
-And I thought I had a good reason to hate her.- she said impressed when they finished.- You have even more reasons than I do.
-Now, it's your turn. What has she done to you?- Albert inquired.
-As strange as it might seem, we were friends at some point, not at the start, but well before Christmas. She invited me to a party she was throwing and we started talking frequently after that. Back then I was going out with Alex. Alex was in the second year of Political Sciences and she was the smartest person I've ever met, she was also extremely beautiful, she had straight black hair that I always envied. She used to tease me that we should exchange some genes so she could get the curly African hair, and I would get her Asian silky one. We went together to Marla's Christmas party and I introduced them. I don't know exactly the reason why, but Marla started obsessing over her, until one day when Alex told me that she was leaving me for her. I couldn't blame her, Marla is beautiful and she is smart, but it hurt. Still, I loved Alex and I wanted her to be happy, and if she couldn't be happy with me, then at least she deserved to be happy with someone else. However, the day Alex called me in tears telling me that she had found her in bed with a guy, that day I hated her. She broke Alex's heart in such a way that she ended up killing herself. The woman I loved killed herself because of Marla.- she had her hands curled up into fists and her nails were digging on her skin.- She took what I loved the most and then she threw it away as if it were garbage. That's why I hate her so.
Myriam and Dalia stood up and hugged her. Octavia started crying then, she cried all the tears she could not cry when Alex died, tears of anger and of desperation.
-I'll help you take her down.- she announced.




No comments:

Post a Comment