4/21/2017

Dream On. Chapter 60: Redemption.

Previously...

Redemption

When Myriam went to their table and told them that they were leaving, Dalia couldn't believe her luck. Helping her friends find the truth about Marla was making her feel much better, it was redemption, in a way. Now, she only needed to find a way to tell Robert how she felt, he had been brave once, now it was her turn. She noticed that he was staring at her and realized that she had been silent for too long.
-Everything okay?- he asked smiling.
-Yes. Well, no. I mean... Listen, Robert, I know I hurt you, and I don't know why I told you all that.- she lied.- But you're the reason I'm still here, Myriam hasn't told you but I was planning to flee before the exams, actually she caught me red-handed, she made me see that I couldn't leave knowing that you would be left alone. And she made me realize that I need you. I would understand if you told me that you don't love me anymore, I deserve it.- when she stopped talking she was crying silently staring at the table.
Robert took her hands between his. She lifted her head and saw him smiling.
-Dalia, I would never tell you that I don't love you because it's not true, you're an amazing person, I did tell you that, and there's nothing that could change what I feel for you right now.- he made a pause and took off his glasses.- However, I don't think we could work it out right now. I have this feeling, and I know you have it too, that now it's not our moment. Don't say anything, just look inside your heart. There is so much going on right now and we will have to endure much more. Maybe afterwards, it will be better, but now, as much as I hurt by having to tell you this, now we can not be.
She was about to speak, but she thought better. He was right and she knew it, but it didn't make it hurt less.
-You're right, I guess we should stay friends for now.
They stayed in the bar for a bit longer, but the conversation kept dying off, so they decided to go back. On their way to the campus, Dalia wondered if she would ever be happy or if she was doomed. Still, there was some hope for her, she reflected, maybe when it all had finished they could actually try it. They arrived at the guys room in silence and they saw that Albert and Myriam were sleeping together.
-You sleep in the bed today.- Robert offered.
-No, seriously, I can sleep on the floor.
-I won't accept a no.- he said taking the sleeping bag.
None of them slept well that night, however, they acted the part when their friends woke up. They had lots of things to do and they couldn't let their feelings interfere. When they were all ready they went back to the city.
Albert went to look at the library building where the civil register was. It was an old building, but it was well organized, so he hoped he wouldn't have much trouble finding what he was looking for. The cathedral proved much more difficult, however. They got in trying to look like tourists who were genuinely interested in the architecture of it, it was an impressive construction, indeed, but it was just too big to be able to find what they were looking for. And they couldn't walk up to any of the priests and ask them casually whether they were the Priest, it was not something that they were supposed to know. Dalia saw a priest whom she thought she knew, but she wasn't sure, she never went to mass and she was not religious. How could she know him? They spent as much time as they dared inside, but at some point, the priests started looking at them in a menacing way, so they decided it was time to go.

Only when they were back to the campus realization dawned on Dalia. Of course she knew that priest, it was the same one that she had seen the day they had sneaked in the cathedral with Robert. Could he be the Priest? She told their friends about it, but they all agreed that it didn't actually tell them much. They had to discover things one at a time, and Albert was ready to go find one of the names they were looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment