4/21/2017

Dream On. Chapter 61: The Summer internship.

Previously...

The Summer internship

Even if the academic year had already finished all of them stayed on campus. Albert and Robert had signed up for a summer internship on their respective fields, Myriam had to write a thesis dissertation for her third, and final, year, and Dalia just told her family that she would be back later. Now that the campus was almost completely empty they felt free to research about anything they wanted. They already had the name of Marla's father, and Jessica was helping them find more about Livia. That was the most frustrating part because so far they had only found out what they already knew, that the statue in front of the cathedral was in her honor.
That day Albert started his internship, he was really excited about it because it was with his favorite professor so far. He knew some other people in his class had signed up for it too, but he didn't know who. He arrived before time at the professor's office, and waited patiently outside it, after a while, he saw Octavia arriving, he greeted her.
-Hi! I didn't know you signed up for the internship too!
-Of course, I want to become a professor eventually so I better start soon to get used to research life. However, I did know that you'd sign up for this one, you're always asking questions and giving the right answers. I think the professor is secretly in love with you.- she smiled.
They talked a lot about how the exams had gone and what they were looking forward the most of this whole experience. Suddenly Octavia’s eyes opened with horror as she looked above Albert’s shoulder.
-It can’t be.- she whispered.
Albert looked in that direction and saw how Marla was walking through the corridor talking to the professor. He tried to appear nonchalant about it, but he was raging inside. They arrived where Octavia and he were seated and stopped.
-I’m glad to see that you all are here!- said the professor, cheerfully.- You know each other, I assume Marla, Octavia, and Albert. Follow me, I’ll show you your places.
They got inside the professor’s office, it was quite large and it had two separated rooms, one was where the professor had his private office as could be seen by the nameplate on the closed door, and the other one, larger, was covered in bookshelves full of books and some archaeological relics. In the center of the second room, there was a large table where someone had piled together several sheets of handwritten papers, there was also a computer on the furthest end of it.
-You’re lucky there’s no one right now, you will have more space. One of my PhD students is away on a stage in Greece, and the other one has just defended her thesis, so she left for other adventures. I’m afraid there is only one computer, but you won’t need to use it much. Install yourselves and I have a meeting now, I’ll come back in no time. On the table, there are some notes for the project I want you to work on.
He left leaving the three of them alone in that room. Marla left her bag on a chair and sat down as if she owned the place.
-Hello, little rabbit, we meet again. Octavia.- she said with an icy tone. -Oh, this is going to be so much fun! Don’t look at me like that, I know you both hate me, but it’s not my fault. Well, yes, maybe it is, but what are you going to do? You have no power over me.
She took the papers from the table and looked at them with interest. Octavia and Albert stayed in front of the table not daring to sit down.
-Don’t be shy, sit down.- Marla told them after a while.-How is your sweet sister Albert?
Albert couldn’t stand it anymore.
-You’re not winning Marla, you’re not, this is not over. I pity you, Marla, because you are trapped and you are doing nothing to escape. And this is what will lead you to lose. 
-Oh, the little rabbit has courage. Do you need a reminder of what I can do?- Albert stared at her in terror.- I think not. And how are you going to win, dreaming your little dreams? That's cute.
Just in that moment, the professor entered back in the room.
-Ready to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment