12/10/2013

Acapulco or a weekend at the beach

This weekend (well, these last three days) I've been in Acapulco. It all started last week when a friend from the lab told me that she was going for a swimming competition, and asked me if I wanted to go. Of course, I had to say yes.

We left early from the lab on Friday and went to eat "Pozole" which is like a soup made with corn and pork meat. It was delicious, although a bit too warm for the weather we have right now. After that we went to meet with some friends from the girl and headed to Acapulco. The traffic was terrible and it took us really long, but it was fun, we sang songs by The Beatles. At night, around 10 pm, we finally arrived to Acapulco, we were supposed to stay at an apartment but there was space in the hotel and we stayed there.

On Saturday we spent the WHOLE day at the beach, it was really warm, but very nice. As usual in here, people would pass by every two seconds trying to sell you stuff. Surprisingly, I didn't get a sunburn, even if all I did was lie on the sand and go inside the water. We also walked around and we saw a little dead sea tortoise, it was sad because it was so small. After a while on the beach we went to the hotel swimming pool and then for dinner, before 7pm. Because the competition was early the following day, we went to sleep early.

During the night I woke up because I felt like a small earthquake, everyone tells me that they didn't feel anything, but I'm sure there was a small one. Sunday was completely crazy. Competition during the morning, which took place on the same day and same hour as a running competition (lack of planning? I guess so), so it took us half an hour to go from where the swimming competition started back to the hotel. I finally did it and went to the finishing line to see how my friends arrived. It was horribly warm, but it was exciting to see how the competitors would arrive and run up to the line, it was inspiring. In fact they have already convinced me to take part in the competition next year. We stayed in the beach for a while after they arrived and, then, we went for lunch in another part of the city. It was delicious, we had "sopes" and fish (which was spicy but I could tolerate) and also fried banana. After lunch I was really sleepy so I laid on a hammock, however I could not sleep, because apparently my brain is stupid, or something. We stayed in that place until after the sunset and then we went to the house we had to go from the start, it was a small house that had a pool, where we immediately headed to. We spent most of the evening drinking beers next and inside the pool, talking and dancing salsa. In the pool. Like I've never danced salsa and the first time I do is inside a pool. It was fun.

Unfortunately, today we had to go back to real life, we woke up, we had breakfast and then we headed back to the city. With the car promptly "breaking down" just outside Acapulco, meaning that we needed to go back and fix it. Still it took us less time to go back, as we were back in Mexico City in 3 hours and a half.


I have to confess that it has been a long time since I've had so much fun at a trip, everything was just perfect, and I was so happy. I don't think I've been this happy in ages, mainly because I'm always over-thinking, and this time I just let me go and relax.

As you might know there were some hurricanes in Acapulco a couple of months ago, I have to say that I was expecting to find everything down. The touristic part was completely ok, and only when we went to other parts of the city you could see the aftermath of it, however they are fixing it pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment