12/04/2013

At the midpoint

Today I was checking how many days have I been on the other side of the Atlantic for administrative reasons, and, as it happens, today marks the midpoint in all this. So, I can, kind of, evaluate all this.


The Good:
-I'm learning a lot, and doing experiments I never have time to do in Barcelona, like immunofluorescence. (I have a hate-love relationship with immunofluorescence. I love it because it looks really nice, but I hate it because it takes LOTS of time, both to make it and to look at it)
-My stomach seems to be resistant to the "bugs" they have in here (at least for now).
-The people is super friendly, even with someone like me who is terrible at making friends (well maybe not so much, but a bit).
-The weather is mild. A bit too mild maybe, I kinda want to be cold at some point that is not 10 minutes after leaving home.
-There are lots of green areas. Even if they are concentrated, you can find real forests inside the city.
-Most of the things are insanely cheap. Like around 0.20 € to ride the bus for 5km!
-I still don't have a Mexican accent (I know it is not an ugly accent, but I kinda like mine), I know it because people in my lab still make fun of how I say certain things.

The Bad:
-I don't think I'll have enough time to do all the experiments I wanted to do.
-And I won't have enough time to visit everything I am supposed to visit.
-I thought I would be able to relax and forget about the work in Barcelona, but I'm clearly a workaholic (or something).
-Pollution, it's really bad, if you add the altitude to it, it makes impossible for me to go for a run because I get tired only by walking.
-The smells. People cooks on the street, like everywhere, and you have to pass by smelling some of the terrible things people has for breakfast (gross, gross things).
-The dirt. The places where people cooks on the street tend to be really really dirty, and wet, so you have to beware if you're wearing sandals because you might end up with completely black feet.
-Bumpy sidewalks. Apparently the roots of the trees grow too much and start breaking the sidewalks, but sometimes there aren't trees around and the sidewalks are bumpy too.
-Spicy food. I thought I would get used to it, but there's NO way, and less if I cook my own food.

There's still time to change some of this opinions, so don't miss out the post I'll write as soon as I go back to Barcelona!

No comments:

Post a Comment