12/21/2013

(Finally) going out or the Winter Solstice

Yesterday, I finally managed to go out at night in the center of the city. Main reasons for not having done it before are mainly 1) this city is fucking big and I live really far from the center (and I'm afraid to get lost if I go anywhere on my own) 2) being invited to party's in people's houses (because if you can have EVERYTHING in one place why should you go out chasing who knows what).

So we went out to a really nice bar where they served "Mezcal" (I'm seriously having problems pronouncing stuff like a Mexican, I mean in Spain's Spanish the z sounds like a motherfucking z, in Mexican is an s, it doesn't make any sense and it makes my head hurt) and mexican beers. Also, we used a ladder as a side table to leave our drinks and our stuff. In there we had really interesting conversations about Spanish politics (it was not nice, shame on you, Spanish government, shame on you), Catalan independence (it's going to happen), books (it took profit to profess my undying love to one Mr. Hemingway) and places I should visit before leaving (which I won't be able to visit because I'm going to live in the lab for the next four weeks). After that we went to a gay disco. It was my first time in one of such, I guess that the main reason is that, somehow, I don't have gay friends in Barcelona to take me to the fun places. It was lots of fun, it had been ages since I had danced like that, and it was liberating not having to care about how I looked like (not that I care much, but inherently when you are at a disco you check out the boys around, and well... we know that everyone wants to look stunning (or something)). There was only one problem: it was completely crowded and I started to regret not having decided to wear shorts (remember it's December in here too), so after a while we decided to leave, and go hunting for some tacos. Some elusive tacos, because the place we wanted to go was no more. Which meant that I went to sleep really hungry and woke up hungrier still.

On a completely unrelated note, today is the Winter Solstice! It's one of my four favorite days of the year (the others being the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes and the Summer Solstice). And I'm thinking about cooking something yummy to celebrate it's finally winter (although it's warm like hell in here still). Yes, I'm weird, and yes I love being weird. By the way, I don't really feel like it's almost Christmas, mainly because of the weather and because there is a striking lack of Christmas lights on the streets, even in the center. I mean, in Barcelona you need to wear shades at night because there are so many Christmas lights around that they literally blind you, but not in here. I think there is a badass Christmas tree that I'm planning to go see tomorrow, but apart from that I haven't seen much.


(That was a long post, if you've made it here you deserve a cookie, so feel free to go buy yourself some).

No comments:

Post a Comment