1/18/2014

A Story A Day. Story 14 of 365: Bridges.

Elsa was a wanderer, always going from one place to another, be it for work, for love or for leisure. However, or maybe because of it, she had a problem: she hated so much to say goodbye that she would simply disappear from one place without saying anything. That had gotten her into infinite trouble as people would take it as a slight, thinking that she was just inconsiderate and rude. At some point she realized that the only thing she was doing was burning bridges, and that at that rate she would die alone.

The psychologist office was in a Victorian house, it was a peaceful spot, surrounded by a garden with large trees. Elsa walked up the path between the flowers and the bushes, and rang the doorbell. She heard some footsteps through the door and it opened swiftly. A young blond woman with metal-rimmed glasses welcomed her.

-Hello, I'm Allison, you must be Elsa.
-Yes, I'm Elsa.- she replied shacking her hand.
-Come in.- Allison said holding the door.

The house was nicely furbished and it smelled of cinnamon cookies. Elsa expected Allison to head her to her office, and she was surprised when they entered the kitchen. It wasn't a common kitchen either. Instead of having a table and chairs there was a huge sofa, a coffee table and some cushions spread over the floor in front of a window. Allison invited Elsa to get herself comfortable as she took a plate of cookies from the oven.

-Will you have tea, coffee, chocolate?- she asked.
-Mmmm, chocolate would be perfect.- Elsa replied.- You're not a conventional psychologist are you?
-I'm not.- Allison replied laughing.- I want people to feel comfortable, and I think an office is just to aseptic for people to open up about their problems. So far, the people seems to like it.

Allison took a tea tray and put two cups and the cookie plate on it. She left everything on the coffee table and sat on one of the cushions in front of Elsa.

-So, Elsa, tell me something about yourself. A short biography, you could say.- Allison looked at her sweetly through her glasses. Her eyes were a clear blue.
-Well, I was born twenty-seven years ago, in a small town in the coast. I am the oldest of two sisters, and my parents were always really protective around us. In high school I flirted with guys and with drugs, it was my rebellious phase. For some reason, I decided that I needed to focus in order to get to the university, which I did, majoring in French. That allowed me to move to Paris for a year, and to Québec for six months. After this I've been going here and there working for small amounts of time as a translator. Right now, I'm a freelance text translator and I get most of my work online so I can live wherever I want.
-You've had an interesting life.- said Allison nibbling a cookie.- So, why did you come to see me?

Elsa paused to think for a moment looking through the window.

-I do this thing,... I leave without saying goodbye. Not like in social meeting or stuff, when I'm actually leaving the city. And people doesn't take it too well, so most of the times they face me about it when I come back, and it's not nice. But I just can't say goodbye.
-Why do you think that is?
-It hurts too much to say goodbye. It feels as if someone was tearing my heart apart.
-So you are afraid of the pain?

Elsa was startled, she had never considered that. She sipped some of her warm chocolate.

-Yes, I guess I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment