1/22/2014

It's weird: first day back at work or why I walked under the rain without an umbrella.

Today was my first real day back home since October. It means that today I woke up early, drove to the station, took a train and headed to work.

It was weird. First it was cold, like cold, cold, 2.5ÂșC (I know it might not sound much, but after spending so much time in Mexico,...). Then I got to drive my car for the first time in months, I had missed that car, it's one of the best things I have. The thing that was more weird about it all, was that it seemed as if I had done it just yesterday, as if these three months abroad, hadn't happened at all. But they happened, I know. The people was nice, greeting me, asking me for stuff, I still have to tell them tons, but it's difficult to explain it all.

This afternoon I went to buy tea. I basically went because I had decided I needed tea yesterday and I'm stubborn as fuck. It was raining. And I wasn't carrying an umbrella, because that's the kind of thing I do, go around not carrying an umbrella. Because umbrellas are awful. They are. Thing is I walked under the rain, getting completely drenched. Because I like to feel the raindrops dripping on my hair, because it makes me feel closer to reality, and because everyone else goes around carrying one. And I'm not everyone. So, I went to buy tea to my old city. After Mexico, and under the rain, it all seemed so nice and shiny, almost unnatural (not that buildings are natural), there was really few people on the streets, the sidewalks were wide and even, everything was like usual, but everything felt new. Uncanny, even.

Here I am, in a place that I know it's my own but seems artificial. Missing stuff that I had dreaded before. And most of all missing the warmth of the people. Don't get me wrong, people in here care a lot about me, some more than they dare to admit, but they have a really different way to show it, as if they were afraid that someone could actually see their feelings. I knew I would miss the people from Mexico, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment