11/03/2013

"Día de Muertos": CU and Coyoacan

Today my flatmate took me to see the offerings for "Día de Muertos" in the CU which is the campus, actually it is the "Ciudad Universitaria" which is like the University City. I think CU is bigger than most of the cities back at home, I've only seen a part of it and I already felt overwhelmed, but also Mexico City is gigantic so it only makes sense that CU would be so big.

The main esplanade was full of offerings. Each year they have a theme and this year the theme was Remedios Varo, a Spanish painter who lived in Mexico for a long time and who did actually become a Mexican citizen. She was a surrealist painter and that got reflected on the offerings. The level of dedication and detail put on them was completely insane. I don't think I can make justice to what the people involved on them has done by writing about them so here you've some pictures.






In CU I also tried the tamal, both sweet and salty. It's nice, but you end up feeling completely stuffed because it is made with corn.


After that we went to Coyoacan where there were some more traditional offerings, as well as an international fair of chocolate and pan de muerto. Pan de muerto is a delicious special sweet that is made for the Día de Muertos. I didn't have any of it, because I already ate some for breakfast, but I did have some warm chocolate that made me realize that all the chocolate I've ever tasted is a lie, a horrible, horrible lie, but I know what real chocolate tastes like now.




Yes, this is pan de muerto. And yes it is as good as it looks like, or even more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment