11/29/2013

Thanksgiving

As a European I've never celebrated Thanksgiving. We don't eat turkey and gravy and cranberry sauce, we don't eat pumpkin pie. And we, certainly, don't eat turducken (and I'm thankful for that, because seriously, that shit looks disgusting). I know Thanksgiving has a long history and kind of controversial or whatever, but I like the fact of being thankful for the things that you have. So welcome to my first Thanksgiving (that doesn't involve eating, but thinking).

Since I've never ever done a Thanksgiving, I guess it will have to be a broad one.

First of all, I'm thankful for having a whole body, it might not be flawless but it can function without help (which is clearly a great feat). I'm also thankful for being able to walk, after being on the brink of never being able to. And I'm thankful for having a brain that works (sometimes), and allows me to dedicate my life to what I like the most.

Secondly, I'm thankful for being able to work on something I love, on being excited every day about new perspectives. For being given all the opportunities I've been given, for working where I am working, and with the people I am working. For the places it has taken me so far, and for all the others that will come.

Thirdly, I'm thankful for being able to write for real, for NaNoWriMo, for pushing myself to finish it.

Now I guess I'll fall into topic territory. I'm thankful for my family, because sometimes we haven't been the best family in the world, but they shaped me the way I am. I'm thankful for my friends, because they help me push the boundaries and because they listen and understand (and they have to put up with loads of crap).

Finally, I'm thankful for having lived a lie during most of this year, for having been down, and having been angry. And knowing that, maybe, it wasn't worth it, but learning to forgive. And, as strange as it might sound, I'm also thankful for still being able to believe in people.


(So that's it, I'll continue next year (maybe)).

No comments:

Post a Comment