9/27/2015

Needy

Alone on a sofa, a young girl sat, she was waiting for someone who worked in that building, nervous, fidgeting, checking her phone while casting glances at the elevators behind the security point. I study her, she's young, twenty-five at most. She's wearing a blouse and a skirt, but they don't seem to be her usual clothes, she seems dressed for a job interview, but, somehow, I don't think she's here for work. Her phone buzzes and she jumps on her seat, disappontment shows on her face as soon as the screen lits up, it's either not what she was waiting for or not the answer she was waiting for. She crossed her legs and started playing with her dark hair before remembering she had probably spent lots of time putting it up. It was painful to look at, she had been waiting for thirty minutes and I could see how her eyes where shinny, holding back the tears. Part of me wanted to sit with her and calm her down, but I couldn't do it, I was simply an observer. When I thought she was about to leave, the person she was waiting for appeared. 

I knew him. He was one of the youngest CEOs of the building, he was driven, he was ambitious, amd I hated him. He was an asshole who treated everyone as if they were less than him. He energetically walked up to her. She sprang on her feet, reaching out for a kiss that was denied. 

-What are you doing here?- he asked authoritatively. 

-You're not replying to my texts.  

He looked down at her with contempt. 

-I'm busy. 

-John, you haven't replied to me for two days.- she was crying. 

-I told you, I'm busy. You can't come here crying every time I don't have time to reply to you, Susan. 

-But I need to know. I need to know you're okay, I need to know you love me. I need you to talk to me.- she grabbed his arm.- I need to know you love me. 

-You need to much, Susan. You need me to be there for you all the time. You need someone to reassure you all the time. You are not confident, you hold to me like a shipwrecked to driftwood. You text me three thousand times a day, and you text me the most silly things just to feel you have someone who pays attention to you. You're needy, Susan. Needy. 

She was openly crying and sank back to the sofa as he turned his back on her and walked away. I kept cleaning the windows, pretending I hadn't heard anything, no one ever paid attention to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment