9/04/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 3: the Curonian Spit.

PSA: this post is going to be overcrowded with pictures, but it's going to be worth it. 

Today I went to the Curonian Spit. Which is basically a strip of land that appeared like out of nowhere and separates the Baltic Sea from something they call the Curonian Lagoon. It's basically made up of sand, flour-like sand, but the kind of flour you use to bake cakes, not the kind you'd use to bake bread. 

To get there I had to take a ferry across the lagoon (it was maybe like 600 meters). I went relatively early (at 9:30) and did this thing in which I stopped at each single place there was a Parking sing. (Now is when the pictures begin). 






All these are only from the first beach I went to. And you can tell I loved it. 




Yeah, those are my feet. 




I also visited some towns, in the first one, Juodkrantė I lost my jacket. It was an old jacket, but it held some sentimental value (although, to be fair, I tend to get attached to things for stupid reasons). That town had a forest full of wooden sculptures which I didn't particularly like, there was something weird in there, I thought that maybe it was that the trees didn't want to be in there and the sand didn't want to stay still. 





After that I tried to go to Pervalka where there is a lighthouse but there wasn't anywhere to park, so I went to the beach again (above) and to Preila (below). And back to the beach (just to clarify, it's different beaches). 










I finally got to Nida after more than four hours driving around (it's only 50km away from where the ferry leaves you) and there I visited the port and a lighthouse that was on top of a hill for some reason. I feel like I need to disclose something in here, I always manage to find the most complicated way to get to places or end up in the worse places in my own, when I went to San Diego I passed through an underpass that was full of homeless people and ended up in the middle of an industrial zone next to a highway, in Mexico City I decided that the best way to get back home was crossing a park and taking the metro from the other side which was a bit dodgy, in Ireland I decided to take a scenic route and ended up in a cul-de-sac, just so you know which kind of girl I am. So, to get to the lighthouse I actually had to end up climbing through some destroyed steps because I thought that was the fastest route. 

Part of this picture is actually Russia, I was that close to Russia! 




I know it looks like I did lots already, but after this lighthouse I wanted to see the other, and I managed to! I even made some friends. 




See? Friends! 



And now, the best! I went to a place called the Dead Dunes that looks like the place from Teletubbies but if it had been designed by a pesimist. Actually, those sands swallowed a town some time ago, so you can tell they are badass. It was otherworldly and an excellent workout as I had to climb on the sand. 










To end I went back to the first beach to bid farewell to this awesome place. 



And that's pretty much it. I spent 8 hours or so there and I wish I could live there on the Baltic side to stare at the sea every day of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment