9/03/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 2: Kaunas-Hill ofCrosses-Klaipėda.

I'm aware yesterday's blog sucked. And don't even try to deny it. So today I'm going to try to make it a bit better. Or something. Also, I said try. 

Anyway, today I started in Kaunas (if you've been reading this blog you know that yesterday I arrived to Kaunas and, since I can't switch places while sleeping, that's were I started from today). I woke up early again, not as early as the first day, but too early taking into account how poorly did I sleep (I hope I get to sleep today). It was cold and there was few people on the street. I took my car and started my +2 hour journey to the Hill of Crosses. I don't know how many of you have ever driven on Lithuanian roads, but they are long, straight, and boring as hell. Also, I went through secondary roads because I thought it would be a great way to see the countryside, it was, but it also was a pain as some of them were only half-paved (and to say something). Anyway, after some time I was falling asleep because of the speed limits and the boringness of the whole thing, so I turned up the radio and sang with Cher and Michael Jackson (no, it didn't rain afterwards). I finally arrived to my destination, also known as the Hill of Crosses which happens to be in the middle of nowhere (literally). 

The Hill of Crosses as its name says it's a hill full of crosses. I should say a tiny hill full of motherfucking crosses. There are large crosses, small crosses, crosses hanging from crosses, crosses nailed on crosses, literal piles of crosses. People from around the world goes there to put crosses to simbolize their Catholicism (it took me three tries to write this correctly if you wondered where did I stand in here).  It was also seen as a symbol of rebelion during the soviet era. And they say it's haunted. I should have gone there at night (I'll love whoever takes me there at night forever). I don't know if it is really haunted or not, but I've been lucky enough to arrive before all the tour buses full of old people who went to put a cross on it (if anyone is interested you can actually go and set one up wherever you want). I know I'm writing a lot and you all want to see pictures of it because it sounds like the best place ever. 






Awesome, right? 

After that I took my car again and headed to Klaipėda, with a tiny little problem: I thought I would be able to use my iPad as GPS and it failed miserably, therefore I had to do it old school and use a map and the iPad became a set of speakers where I played Positive Songs For Negative People by the one and only Frank Turner because a roadtrip is not a roadtrip if there isn't music. I actually made it to Klaipėda where I stopped for gas and to ask for directions. Of course, I first talked to a girl who didn't speak English, which shows how much do I need to learn new languages. I finally arrived to the hostel and was free to roam around Klaipėda. 

Klaipėda is a coastal city, so I fell in love with it. It has a small old city center with cobbled streets (I'm OBSESSED with cobbled streets) and a port where you can walk around. It was very sunny while I walked around so there's a possibility I will get a suntan in Lithuania. I liked it better than Kaunas, maybe for the sea, maybe for the sun, or who knows. If you looked closely there were also signs that the buildings are not actually that well taken care of, but it somehow looked nicer (the sun, for sure). There are some nice things around Klaipėda, a kickass boat, several sculptures, and the cobbled streets. And I know you want to see the pictures now. 









No comments:

Post a Comment