9/14/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 13: Kuressaare-Rummu-Tallinn.

Guess what goes here. No? Ok, "Today, I woke up early". So, today I woke up early because my brain hates me. After breakfast I headed out of Saaremaa and onto Tallinn, but before I stopped at Rummu to see the sunken prison. The thing is that it is not really well signalled (read: at all) and therefore I ended somewhere where a guard talked to me in something that didn't sound like Estonian and scared me off. I also had to drive through some shitty dirt roads to get there, and I had an uneasy feeling that made me realize that I'm afraid of people. Awesome, right? Well, the prison is next to a quarry and it's underwater because when they stopped using the quarry the water flooded the hole (also the water has a cool greenish hue that made me wonder which metals where in it). 








This uneasiness continued until I arrived to Tallinn, making it even more stressful to drive through the city. Because I have all the day to explore the Old Town, tomorrow, today I walked around the walls and around Toompea that's on a hill and it's where the government is. I also went to the Opera House and to a place called City Hall that the Soviet Union built to watch boat races and that now it's decaying. So far Tallinn seems a pretty city, specially the Old Town, in a theme-park kind of way. It's too pretty, but it could also be my brain thinking I don't deserve pretty things and making me like only things that will break my heart. Who knows. Anyway, I'll try it again tomorrow as I'm planning to walk around until I can't feel my feet. 

Now, pretty pictures. 



































































No comments:

Post a Comment