9/07/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 6:Liepāja-Ventspils-Kuldīga.

Today's post is not going to have pictures because the WiFi is crappy and I rather tell you guys all about it than post pictures. However, you will be able to find a selection of them on my Instagram: instagram.com/elastword (if I'm able to post them, there, too). Today's post is also a cautionary tale on how travel guides are crap. 

I left Liepāja later than expected and eager to see what else Latvia had in store for me. I took the road from Liepāja to Ventspils and, although I had been told that there wouldn't be roadworks, there were roadworks. So, kidsif you're ever going to Latvia the roads will either be under repairs or on the verge of being under repairs. It also started raining and the thickest rainbow I have ever seen appeared on the sky (okay, let's try to post the pictures, wish me luck). 

I arrived at Ventspils at midday and parked in the first place I found, which turned out to be a pretty stupid thing to do because there was plenty of space to park EVERYWHERE. Also everything was pretty far away from everything else. Anyway, I parked and started exploring around. The city is overrun by cow statues, like the ones that were exhibited around the world some years ago, so there will be lots of pictures of them. I walked around a bit until I arrived to the sea and that's were I forgot everything about the city. When I was there it started raining sideways, which you will recognize as not a very comfortable condition to explore the city. Of course, it stopped raining as soon as I got to my car, but then I decided to drive around a bit. The thing about Ventspils is that it is very prim and proper. And it stinks of money. I'm not saying I hate it, but it isn't my favorite place (except for the beach), the guide says that is a must see because the guy who wrote the guide doesn't know how I think. 

















It's the hole-y cow (I'm puntastic). 










Of course, I went back to the beach after the rain because you can't tell me not to go bask in the glory that is the Baltic Sea. Or any sea. Or any body of water large enough, really. 

When I got tired of Ventspils I drove to Kuldīga. The road was boring and made me sleepy, so it was a relief when I arrived to Kuldīga in less time than I had expected. According to the guide, there is nothing in Kuldīga but the waterfalls (the Venta waterfalls are the widest in Europe), and you know what? If you ever come to Latvia you should definitely come to Kuldīga. I felt as if I had been transported to another century. And there are plenty of things to discover, I was literally running around like a kid from one place to the other. 






As you can see, I also have a thing for rivers, I had forgotten how calm do they make me feel. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment