9/26/2015

Solo

-You, what?!-said Frank in disbelief. 

We had been dating for almost a year and it was the first time I saw him like that. 

-I'm going on vacations.- I was already carrying my heavy backpack, my plane was leaving three hours later.- I know you don't like to travel, and I actually asked you if you wanted to go anywhere. Since you told me you'd rather stay home and I need to get away from everything,... I decided to go away on my own. 

-You need to get away from everything? Including me?!- I rolled my eyes at that.- Liz! 

-Not from you! From this.- I pointed around.- I need to see new things! 

-We will talk when we come back.- he sounded like my father. I didn't like it a bit. 

I spent those vacations at the shores of the Baltic Sea in Latvia, doing nothing but sitting on the beach for hours, feeling alive. I also discovered the streets of Rīga, the hidden alleys of Kuldīga. I swam in rivers and I swam in the sea until I felt clean of my burdens. And I talked to travelers. People who, like me, needed to get away from their daily lives, people who were looking for new experiences, or people who had made of traveling their lifestyle. I found peace, and I didn't miss Frank even once. He came to pick me up at the airport, clearly still mad at me. 

-How was it? Did you have fun?- he asked.- I missed you. 

I looked him square in the eye. 

-You don't understand why I needed it, do you? You not only don't understand it, but you don't even try to understand it. To you I'm an anomaly because I rather spend time away from you. You know what? I didn't miss you, and you didn't miss me either. We are not made for each other, I need someone who wants to explore the world with me not someone who will tell me off for daring to do so. Goodbye, Frank. 

I picked up my backpack and headed to the train station to take the train back home, to many more adventures, and to someone who would actually take trains for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment