9/17/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 16: Rīga-Vilnius.

Today's the real last day of this trip (don't worry, there will be a post tomorrow because everyone loves airplane stories). Anyway, today I had a long drive from Rīga down to Vilnius (it took me nearly 4 hours) and, as usual, I tried to set off early to be able to arrive to Vilnius with enough time to visit it. I have to admit that I had low expectations for the city as I was told that it was the ugly sister of the three capitals. As you'll see from the pictures it is a lively colorful city that has a wild side, if only it were next to the sea it would be perfect. 

It is a quite hilly city and it has thousands* of churches (*they may not actually be thousands). I first went into the oldtown wandering around the sun-soaked streets. It was quite warm, and by this I mean that it was warm enough to make me wish I had actually worn shorts and sandals instead of long pants and hiking shoes. 




























This one looks like a blurry shitty picture, but I took it through the fisheye lens I have for my camera, so I'm pretty proud. 

After this I climbed up one of the hills to visit the ruins of a castle and get a nice view of Vilnius. 


This hill. 


And these views. 






And down the hill we go. 








Aaaaand up another hill. It was quite steep and to climb down I decided to take another route and got lost and ended up going through an empty riverbed. 





In here there was an old man in his underwear standing soaking on sunlight. 


And I went to another republic. This is a neighborhood on the other side of the Vilnelė river that considers itself independent and even has its own constitution. 









This is the constitution. I took more pictures so you can read all of it. 


"Everyone has the right to die, but this is not an obligation."
"Everyone has the right not to be loved, but not necessarily." 
"A dog has the right to be a dog."
"A cat is not obligued to love its owner, but must help in times of need." 


"Everyone has the right to be unhappy."
"Everyone has the right to be silent."
"Everyone has the right to understand nothing."


"Do not defeat."
"Do not fight back."
"Do not surrender."

Brb, getting the picture of this I took on my camera enlarged and printed. Yes, I was wearing hot-pink pants. 





And the best for the last. Some of you might know that I'm obsessed with graveyards and there was a pretty cool one in Užupio. (Now there come three thousand pictures of graves, sorry). 




















No comments:

Post a Comment