9/13/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 12: Saaremaa.

Today I spent the day exploring Saaremaa island and as usual my day started early (I wish I could say I woke up late one single day). I started from the south and went counterclockwise around it. My modus operandi was to basically pull over every time I saw a sign towards the sea, but to be fair the south part of the island is manly wetlands. 






In the south there's also a place where a meteorite fell 4,000 years ago, there's a smallish lake (a pond rather) inside it. 











The east part of the island is still mainly wetlands with a rockier shore as you get north. There is one of the several strongholds that are around the island and some "cliffs". The forest has a kind of Mediterranean vibe except that there is so much moss I kind of expected to find a gnome or a troll. 


















Peaceful, right? It looks like the perfect place to swim (I was wearing a bikini because I SO wanted to swim). 


Well, too bad because the waters were infested of fucking jellyfish. Dozens of tiny jellyfish. Because I'm a lousy biologist I don't really know if these sting and I didn't want to try, to be honest. Further north there were some windmills because the island is quite windy so they took profit of the natural resources. 
















After this I had to drive to the south because the car was running low on gas and there were no gas stations in the north (somehow). So down south and up north again and I went to see the highests cliffs in Estonia (I think), but before I stopped at a beach and ended up with my feet in the water (it was too cold to swim).
















The sun was starting to set and I headed south to the southernmost point of the island for sunset. To do so I had to drive through the worst road ever, as it was a main road but it was dirt instead of pavement. I did see a fox, though. In the south there was a big lighthouse and I guess that if you looked hard enough you could see Latvia at the other side. 































Needless to say, I was delighted to see the real sea again. I had missed it, the sea and the wind in my face. And I will miss a lot when I'm back home, even if I have the Mediterranean. 


No comments:

Post a Comment