9/05/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 4: Klaipėda-Palanga-Liepāja.

Last night I decided I'd sleep as much as I'd need to, which means that I woke up at 8 am sharp because my brain hates me sometimes (all the times). I took it easy anyway and around 10 I headed toward Palanga. Palanga is a small town that is really oriented toward tourism for what I saw. In there I visited a park which had some sculptures and a rose garden. For some reason, even if I hate rose bouquets, I love rose gardens. The park lead to the sea and I could hear it howling from in between the trees. Palanga has also a long pier into the sea that invites you to walk in an embrace the Baltic. 


This is Eglė the Queen of the Serpents, its an old Lithuanian legend that you can find on Wikipedia. 
















After that I headed towards Liepāja which happens to be in Latvia, so country change! And thanks to the free passage of people across countries of the European Union, no border control. Surprisingly, the road got much worse as soon as I crossed the border and I have been welcomed by road works for at least 30 km, or it felt like it. It started raining as soon as I approached Liepāja, but I was lucky enough to find the hostel fast and it stopped raining soon thereafter. Although I had expected to leave the exploring for tomorrow, I though that maybe I could do some today and headed out. The guy from the hostel gave me a map-guide and I decided to take the route that went towards the sea (me? Going to the sea? Crazy, right?). Liepāja is the cultural capital of Latvia and there's lots of music related stuff going on, and they do potentiate it. I started in the middle of the town and stopped at the museum because it was supposed to be free, it wasn't but it was nice anyway, I specially liked an exhibition by a young sculptor that had one that captured how do I feel about the sea (there are no pictures, sorry). Then I went to the park which was wild an unkept, and I loved it. I also went to the beach where the sea was going crazy with the wind. The second time I got caught in a sandstormnd that's why I have sand almost everywhere. 

At this point I feel like I should write a comparison between the two cities. Palanga is like the boyfriend you had because you knew your parents would like him, it is well kept and clean, but in the end it lacks something. Liepāja is the musician boyfriend you have who is really alternative and doesn't have lots of money, and who doesn't shower everyday, but he has something that makes you stay even if you know nothing good will come from it (that's the kind of guys I always like). 









Windsurfers, I also have a thing for surfers and windsurfers, maybe because they understand the sea like I do. 






I made a friend, codename "Mixo-Mixo" which translates into "Kitty-Kitty". 







No comments:

Post a Comment