9/02/2015

Road-tripping around the Baltic States. Day 1: Barcelona-Trakai-Kaunas.

I decided to write a roadtrip diary during my vacations, because what else could I do, really? This is just to warn you about the craziness this is going to become. 

4 am, the alarm starts ringing and I wonder what have I done to deserve that. Then I remember, I'm going on vacations! (Than doesn't really make me less miserable about having had to wake up at such unholy hour) Shower, quick breakfast, and then you can find me trying to take my luggage downstairs without breaking anything. My plane took off at 6:45 and the buses start running at 5:30 so I had to take a taxi, which made me feel awkward and... Awkward basically. At the airport there was a large group of people who were causing caos and confusion among everyone. Which was increased by the fact that it was 5 am. Anyway, I managed to drop-off my luggage and pass the security controls, which meant that I was ready to get on the plane and sleep all my way to Vilnius. 

After the morning nap I got off the plane and went to find my roadtrip partner (the car). And it started raining A LOT. First stop was Trakai. In Trakai there is a castle in an island, it has been rebuilt and that's pretty much what I can tell you because I didn't read the explanations there were on the exhibitions (mainly because I never do), but it was really nice anyway. There were some really creepy exhibits with porcelain figurines, and it kind of spooked me out (THEY SPOOKED ME OUT, ME), after that I couldn't stop thinking how all the owners of that stuff were dead. Anyway, some pretty pictures from Trakai. 

Trakai castle under the rain. 
A random bridge in Trakai. 


On my way out from Trakai I met a couple of hitchhikers and I picked them out. They were from Poland, and very friendly, so I had company until we got to Kaunas. Kaunas is a charming city, with a main cobbled street. From the road you could see some buildings from the Soviet era that made me a bit afraid of what might find, but all the doubts vanished as soon as I hit the old town streets. It is a flourishing city, although it is quite clear that there are some buildings that haven't actually been taken care off in a long time as the colored paint was peeling off. I made it all the way to Kaunas castle when rain started hitting again and I ended up drenched and hiding for shelter under an umbrella in one of the many bars that are lined on the main street. 

The Archangel Michael Church (or something). 
Kaunas under the rain. 
Kaunas castle. 

I have to say that Kaunas has surprised me in a positive way, I had imagined it in a completely different way. However, I'm exhausted and it keeps raining, and therefore I'm going to stay at the hostel and go to sleep "early" because I'm on vacations and I can do whatever I please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment